NJDOT NORWOOD AVE PROJECT AND NEW TRAFFIC PATTERN IN ALLENHURST
The New Jersey Department of Transportation’s (NJDOT) reconstruction project on Norwood Avenue (Route 71), has restarted. The NJDOT will be installing new curbing, driveway aprons, and sidewalks along the northbound side of Norwood Avenue and will then complete the project by repaving the entire length of the road from Edgemont Drive to the border of Deal. The entire project is expected to be completed sometime in December.
Because of this project, there are going to be several new traffic patterns that I want to inform everyone about.
Beginning on the night of Friday, October 12, the following will occur, and will continue into December:
- The only intersection at which vehicles will be able to cross Norwood Avenue will be CORLIES AVENUE.
- Barricades will be posted at every cross street at each Norwood Avenue (Route 71) intersection, with the exception of Corlies Avenue.
- All Ocean Avenue intersections will have signage indicating “Road Closed Ahead” and “Local Traffic Only”.
- Norwood Avenue will be open to SOUTHBOUND TRAFFIC ONLY.
- Northbound traffic will be detoured to Ocean Avenue.
The NJDOT has informed us that all those who live along Norwood Avenue will be able to get to and from their driveways during this ongoing project. They also informed us that this work is being done one side at a time. The northbound side will be completed first, followed immediately by the southbound side.
I recognize the inconvenience of this project, but the work the NJDOT is doing along Norwood Avenue is necessary, overdue, and unavoidable. When this project is completed, everyone here at the Borough is confident that the finished, updated and fully improved roadway will be worth the temporary inconveniences we are all dealing with now.
If anyone has any problems or questions about the how the traffic pattern is being set up, please feel free to contact Police Headquarters at (732) 531-2255.
Rest assured that the Borough is in contact with the project Supervisor on a daily basis. We will seek to rectify any issue, which may arise, in a timely manner.
Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
Chief Michael Schneider
Allenhurst Police Department